- I will develop myself to the maximum of my potential in all ways.
- I will forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.
- I will continually work at developing love, happiness and loyalty in my family.
- I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.
- If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.
- I will always be as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
- I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness.
- I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.
- I will always remain loyal to my God, my country, family and my friends.
- I will remain highly goal-oriented throughout my life because that positive attitude helps my family, my country and myself.
In all seriousness, it looks to be a good code of ethics. We like ethics - or at least the idea that a man should account for his own actions by living by a personal code - that's why HONOR tops our Dreamcatcher Pyramid of Greatness. As a man in this modern world, we are sometimes caught in limbo between expressing ours machismo through chivalry and giving in to political correctness. While some [feminists] may argue that chivalry is dead and machismo is for cavemen, I think that the repression of that inner caveman has lead some men to become real louts with weak morals. I mean, chivalry used to mean having the cajones to wear a suit of armor and battle to the death just to protect the good name of your favorite gal. That's standing up for what you believe in, son.
And that's what Chuck is saying here. A man should stand up for himself, his family, his god, his country, and his friends. He should seek that which challenges him and do battle with it - even if that challenge comes from within. He should look for opportunities to help himself and others. What he's saying is HE'S A MAN and if you got a problem with that then he's got a fist that you can inspect up close.
But violence is a last resort. Better to have a good firm stance - both physically and morally. Don't be a namby-pamby when it comes to what you believe in. Look at all sides of the situation at hand and make an informed decision as to which side you will stand on then fight for it.
If it helps, just ask yourself.... What would Chuck Norris do?